001. Artificial Intelligence & Gender
For our first ever episode, we explore why some forms of AI are gendered, while some others are not. Is there a pattern here? How do we portray AI in science fiction? How does that relate to how they are seen and made in real life?
As two self-identified nerds, we had a great time talking about the development of technology and artificial intelligence. And since you’re probably a fellow nerd, we guessed you’d be pining for links to expand your mental horizons; hence we’ve listed all the relevant articles and media that we’ve read/watched/mentioned.
We ought to note that we don’t necessarily agree with everything the articles say, and both of us didn’t necessarily read all of them, but they all made it into our brain-pan somehow. Alright, here we go !
Articles we (may have) read before this episode:
- “Artificial Intelligence and the Virtual/IRL Divide” - Cher Tan (26/04/16), Model View Culture.
- “Why do we give robots female names? Because we don’t want to consider their feelings” - Laurie Penney (22/04/16), New Statesman.
- “Why is AI female? How our ideas about sex and service influence the personalities we give machines” - Monica Nicklesburg (04/04/16), GeekWire.
- “Microsoft deletes ‘teen girl’ AI after it became a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours” - Helen Horton (24/03/16), The Telegraph.
- “Sexism Valley: 60% of women in Silicon Valley experience harassment” - Jana Kasperkevic (13/01/2016), The Guardian.
- “Even Early Focus Groups Hated Clippy” - Robinson Meyer (23/06/15), The Atlantic.
- “Rise of the Fembots: Why Artificial Intelligence Is Often Female” - Tanya Lewis (19/02/15), Live Science.
- “Why computer voices are mostly female” - Brandon Griggs (21/10/11), CNN.
Media that was discussed in this episode:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (book) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (film)
- The Animatrix (short films)
- CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap (film)
- Elijah Baley series/The Robot series - “Asimov series that has a robot detective” (Elijah Baley series on goodreads)
- Ex Machina (spoilers) (movie)
- Humans (TV series)
- I, Robot (book) and I, Robot (movie)
- Mass Effect (video game series)
- Other Space - “a cross between Star Trek and The Office” (TV series)
- The Stepford Wives (film)
Things we have discovered since the episode and enjoyed:
- 027Government, poverty, welfare and you14 August 17
- 026Celebrity31 July 17
- 025Avril Lavigne is Dead17 July 17
- 024Communities03 July 17
- 023Scifi19 June 17
- 022We ask each other about our sciences05 June 17
- 021Ethical Consumption Part 324 April 17
- 020Ethical Consumption Part 210 April 17
- 019Ethical Consumption Part 127 March 17
- 018The Pay Gap13 March 17
- 017Health27 February 17
- 016Privacy and Security13 February 17
- 015Fashion, and 201730 January 17
- 014Job Market, Response & Past Ep Redux05 December 16
- 013Intelligence21 November 16
- 012Your Feed Is Sponsored07 November 16
- 011Fandom24 October 16
- 010Silos and Political Extremism10 October 16
- 009Sports !26 September 16
- 008Dealing with Feels12 September 16
- 007Glass Cages of Emotion29 August 16
- 006Modern Dating15 August 16
- 005How to talk about Sexism01 August 16
- 004Women in Space25 July 16
- 003Tumblr Linguistics11 July 16
- 002Leadership05 July 16
- 001Artificial Intelligence & Gender27 June 16