What unique challenges do women leaders face, and how can we overcome these? Is it better to simply emulate masculine traits, or subvert society’s expectations? We discuss our own journeys towards learning how to be better leaders. Content warning for this episode - there is some mention of sexual assault.
Here is the list of articles we (claim to have) read and media we discussed during this episode. You never know how terrible you sound saying #topical until you hear yourself recorded saying #topical.
All articles were last accessed on 29/5/16 unless otherwise stated. If you have been upset by anything in this episode, get in touch with family or friends, or your local hotline.
Articles we (may have) read before this episode:
- “French former ministers launch attack on sexism in politics.” Kim Willsher (15/5/16), The Guardian.
- “‘We can no longer stay silent’: fury erupts over sexism in French politics.” Angelique Chrisafis (14/5/16), The Guardian.
- “Bernie Sanders isn’t a woman, but is he a better feminist than Hillary Clinton?” Cynthia Weber (13/2/16), The Conversation
- Grunspan, Daniel, et al. “Males Under-Estimate Academic Performance of Their Female Peers in Undergraduate Biology Classrooms.” PLOS ONE, 2016; 11 (2)
- “IBM pulls #HackAHairDryer campaign admitting it ‘missed the mark’” Elena Cresci (8/12/15), The Guardian.
- “The Motherhood Penalty vs. the Fatherhood Bonus” Claire Miller (6/9/14), The New York Times.
- “Why the Empathetic Leader Is the Best Leader” Toby Noton (21/8/14), Success.com
- Stulp, Gert, et al. “Tall claims? Sense and nonsense about the importance of height of US presidents.” The Leadership Quarterly 24.1 (2013): 159-171.
Note that our comment about height of presidential candidates appears to be inaccurate - there is no statistically significant link between being the taller candidate and winning the actual election. Taller presidents were more likely to win re-election, and presidential candidates overall were taller than their birth cohort.
- “PM’s youthful look attacked.” Eloise Gibbon (17/9/2008), NZ Herald.
This one was chosen over other… ah… less kind articles. You can search for those yourself, if you’re curious.
- “The Set-Up to Fail Syndrome” Jean-François Manzoni and Jean-Louis Barsoux (1998), Harvard Business Review.
We did not read these articles before the episode was recorded but we’ve read them since and we like them:
- “Why I’m Supporting Clinton, and I hope the San Francisco Bay Area Does Too” Faruk Ates (7/6/16), Medium.com
Things (possibly of interest) we recommend:
The “Ban Bossy” campaign isn’t something we know a lot about and so we can’t say whether we wholeheartedly support it. But we like this video.
- 046Resilience29 October 18
- 045Culture15 October 18
- 044Free Speech01 October 18
- 043Chats with author and lawyer Erica Chan, Part 203 September 18
- 042Chats with author and lawyer Erica Chan, Part 120 August 18
- 041Good Habits, Bad Habits06 August 18
- 040Video Games23 July 18
- 039Pseudonyms09 July 18
- 038Global Warming18 June 18
- 037Blockchain23 April 18
- 036CRISPR09 April 18
- 035Emotional Labour26 March 18
- 034Filmmaking12 March 18
- 033Happy 201826 February 18
- 032Social Media04 December 17
- 031Arohanui20 November 17
- 030Self Care06 November 17
- 029Finding Strength11 September 17
- 028YELLING INTO THE VOID28 August 17
- 027Government, poverty, welfare and you14 August 17
- 026Celebrity31 July 17
- 025Avril Lavigne is Dead17 July 17
- 024Communities03 July 17
- 023Scifi19 June 17
- 022We ask each other about our sciences05 June 17
- 021Ethical Consumption Part 324 April 17
- 020Ethical Consumption Part 210 April 17
- 019Ethical Consumption Part 127 March 17
- 018The Pay Gap13 March 17
- 017Health27 February 17
- 016Privacy and Security13 February 17
- 015Fashion, and 201730 January 17
- 014Job Market, Response & Past Ep Redux05 December 16
- 013Intelligence21 November 16
- 012Your Feed Is Sponsored07 November 16
- 011Fandom24 October 16
- 010Silos and Political Extremism10 October 16
- 009Sports !26 September 16
- 008Dealing with Feels12 September 16
- 007Glass Cages of Emotion29 August 16
- 006Modern Dating15 August 16
- 005How to talk about Sexism01 August 16
- 004Women in Space25 July 16
- 003Tumblr Linguistics11 July 16
- 002Leadership05 July 16
- 001Artificial Intelligence & Gender27 June 16