It’s the Olympics! The wonderful event where athletes show off their incredible achievements and sports journalists show off their sexism. Does it make sense to gender-segregate sports in 2016? Just how bad is the wage gap in sports? Also: the Paralympics. They are badass and don’t get nearly enough attention.
An episode in which we attempt to not miss public interest in the Olympics and dramatically fail, Serena uses her physics degree to use a calculator, and Sophia attempts to pronounce a lot of names. Also, at the end there, we get mad and sad about racism, and excited for the Paralympics, which were now like a month ago. Great job all around.
Articles we (may have) read before this episode:
There are a lot of them, everyone talks about the Olympics. We’ve starred a few of our faves. Also, read everything Rebecca Shaw writes, because she’s hilarious and amazing.
- Five reasons the women playing AFL deserve a decent deal - Prue Gilbert (9/9/2016), Sydney Morning Herald
- A brief history of the Paralympic Games: from post-WWII rehabilitation to mega sport event - Simon Darcy and David Legg (7/9/2016), The Conversation
- Colin Kaepernick’s True Sin - Adam Serwer (30/8/2016), The Atlantic
- Is Australia’s disastrous Olympic campaign really $340 million well spent? - Emma Reynolds (22/8/2016), News.com.au
- ‘Normal’ in our society means male – women are written out of the story - Lauren Bates (17/8/2016), The Guardian
- The subtle sexism behind this headline from Rio - Rebecca Shaw (16/8/2016), SBS Comedy**
- The Most Egregious Sexist Fails at the 2016 Olympics - Patricia Garcia (16/8/2016), Vogue
- Stop it with the “Bikini vs. Burka” headlines. Let’s focus on women’s athleticism. - Shireen Ahmed (16/8/2016), Vox
- ‘It’s because I had my period’: swimmer Fu Yuanhui praised for breaking taboo - Tom Phillips (16/8/2016), The Guardian
- The 2016 Rio Olympics Have Been a Powerful Tribute to #BlackExcellence - Zak Cheney Rice (15/8/2016) mic.com
- Katie Ledecky is crushing records, so why are we still worried about Caster Semenya? - Kate Fagan (13/8/2016), ESPN **
- Why everyone is so mad about this sh*tty ‘Grindr at the Olympics’ article - Rebecca Shaw (12/8/2016), SBS Comedy
- It’s 2016! How not to report a woman has won an Olympic medal - Rebecca Shaw (8/8/2016), SBS Comedy**
- Chris Mosier on Making History as First Trans Member of Team USA - Lauren Steele (2/8/2016), Rolling Stone
- Out Lesbian/Bisexual Olympic Athletes to Root for in Rio - Trish Bendix (2/8/2016), After Ellen**
- You’re Not Smart Or Interesting For Shitting All Over Popular Culture - Patrick Lenton (30/6/2016), Junkee.com** mentioned this in the actual episode!
- Prize money row: how do major sports compare between men and women? - Guardian Sport (21/3/2016)**
- After the furore, meet the real Adam Goodes - Nikki Barrowclough (23/1/2016), Sydney Morning Herald
- IOC rules transgender athletes can take part in Olympics without surgery - AP (25/1/2016), The Guardian
This super cool scientific article:
Healy, M. L., Gibney, J., Pentecost, C., Wheeler, M. J. and Sonksen, P. H. (2014), Endocrine profiles in 693 elite athletes in the postcompetition setting. Clin Endocrinol, 81: 294–305. doi:10.1111/cen.12445